Baking soda is a natural whitish product that is used for different household tasks, such as to remove stains from clothing, neutralize odors or suppress the high acidity of some foods, among others. But in addition to these uses for the home, did you know that this compound has become an ingredient for different homemade beauty tricks for its excellent properties for the skin?
Among its benefits, we find that bicarbonate is a very popular natural remedy to attenuate skin blemishes, which appear due to different factors such as age or prolonged exposure to sunlight, as it has excellent bleaching properties. That is why in the following article we explain how to use bicarbonate for facial blemishes as well as its benefits for the care of our skin.
Properties and benefits of bicarbonate in the skin
As we have anticipated, sodium bicarbonate is a natural compound that is used for different household tasks. However, it has also become a favorite product in natural cosmetics. Below we will explain the various benefits of bicarbonate for the skin and why it serves as a natural remedy to eliminate facial blemishes:
- Whitening the skin: bicarbonate is a product with a high content of antioxidants, so it has a powerful bleaching effect. In this way, we can progressively reduce the dark spots of different areas of the body, including the face, and also get to unify the tone of our skin.
- Natural scrub: thanks to its texture, very similar to that of salt or sugar, this compound can be used as an excellent exfoliant capable of removing the accumulation of dead skin cells. As a result, we will improve the tone of our skin, leaving it softer and lighter.
- It is antiseptic and antibacterial : sodium bicarbonate stands out for its antiseptic properties, which makes it an excellent remedy to treat skin problems such as acne, since it relieves some of its symptoms such as redness and itching that sometimes cause granites In addition, its antibacterial properties help to unclog the pores, so it prevents the formation of new impurities.
- Regulates the pH: this product also stands out for its richness in alkaline compounds, which gives it properties that control the pH of the dermis, making it ideal for those skins with a tendency to be fats. In this way, it regulates the functioning of the sebaceous glands and manages to eliminate unnecessary brightness of the face.
- It is anti-inflammatory: finally, the bicarbonate has anti-inflammatory properties, so it relieves other conditions such as insect bites that inflame and redden the skin. Thanks to these properties, this product helps soothe the skin and helps to heal wounds properly so that no unsightly marks remain.
Lemon and baking soda on the face
Thanks to all the properties for the skin that we have explained, we already know why baking soda is an excellent remedy to clear the spots on the face and achieve a more unified and luminous tone. You only have to have prepared the quantities of the following ingredients :
- 2 tablespoon of baking soda
- Juice of half a lemon
- Half a glass of mineral water
Preparation and treatment
- Add in a bowl half a glass of mineral water and two tablespoons of baking soda. With the help of a spoon stir, the ingredients so that they are well mixed and a kind of paste is formed.
- Now part by lemon in half and squeeze into the container one of its pieces in the same container, making sure that no nugget falls into the preparation. Remove everything again so that the lemon mixes with the rest of the ingredients. You’ll have ready the bicarbonate mask for the spots on your face.
- With the face clean and dry, apply the mask with the help of a spatula all over the skin, emphasizing the areas where the spots are. Avoid using the mask on sensitive areas of the face, such as the eyes and lips.
- Let the mixture rest on the face for 10 minutes and then rinse with plenty of warm water to remove any remaining mask.
- Finally, apply a moisturizer on the face, since this mask could dry out the skin a little.
In this way, it is not advisable to wash your face with baking soda every day. Also, it is recommended that you apply it during the night since the lemon juice in contact with the sun could cause new spots on the face.
Other homemade recipes to lighten your face
In addition to sodium bicarbonate, other home remedies can help you get clearer, blemish-free skin. Among them we find:
- Mask of parsley and lemon: this remedy has a richness in antioxidants and vitamin C, which regulates the production of melanin and, therefore, unifies the tone of our skin. Mix the juice of a whole lemon with two tablespoons of crushed parsley and then apply the mask on the face with a spatula. Let it sit for 5 minutes and then rinse your face with warm water.
- Chamomile and honey mask: both ingredients stand out for their excellent whitening properties. Prepare an infusion of chamomile and when cool add two tablespoons of honey in the same container. Apply the mixture on the face and let it act for 20 minutes. Finally, rinse your face with cold water.
- Mask of rice: this food is rich in vitamin B3, a nutrient with a powerful bleaching effect. Add in a pot half a liter of water and half a cup of rice and let it boil for 20 minutes. Strain the contents and apply the cooking water on the skin when it is very cold. Let it sit 30 minutes on the face and then rinse it with warm water.
Now that you know how to use bicarbonate for facial blemishes, If you want to read more articles similar to How to use baking soda for facial scars, we recommend you to enter our Beauty and Personal Care category.